Sunday 2 January 2011

Here we gooo

I am still recovering from Episode 1, but here's an interview with Andrew Lee Potts (who plays Connor, for you uneducated people), concerning Episode 2 and some of the rest of the series. Yes, I stole it off Digital Spy, how did you guess?


Has Connor changed in his year away?
"Yeah, I think he definitely has changed. He still carries his innocence, he's still clinging on to that. But he's only just clinging on to it, because realistically [he and Abby] had no idea that they were going to make it home. She's the realist and he's the dreamer. He's become a lot more hardcore, though. You'd have to, living out in the wild for a year. He's more used to dealing with the creatures face-to-face, on a survival level. He's a bit more Bear Grylls now! Abby's been training him to defend himself, so he's a lot more of a man. He definitely went in a boy and came out a man. Before, Connor was a bit of a side-kick or right-hand man. I think he's more of a person in himself now. There's things that need to be done that only he can do, related to the science of the ARC. We all take on our roles and it's more an equal team now."

How does Connor fit into the new regime, under Philip Burton?
"He's very impressed by Philip Burton, because he knew of him and he's one of the most famous scientists in the world. Connor thinks he's going to be working for him, but they don't want [Connor and Abby] anymore, because they're too jaded and they've got a new team now. I think he's a bit miffed! Like I say in the first episode, every single day that they've survived in the past was to come back and do this job. That was Connor's dream and the rug is taken from underneath his feet. He's not very happy about it, so he goes out and does something about it himself, in the second episode."

How will Connor's relationship with Matt progress?
"I think Matt is very guarded, which I think makes Connor a little bit guarded. Obviously Connor's initial instinct is to like everybody! He tries to see the best in people. That's something that he's not lost, and it's something that, later in the series, gets him into a hell of a lot of trouble! I think Connor wants to work with Matt, but he's finding it hard to connect. He's searching for a father figure, which Matt's not, and I think that's where Philip Burton steps into the picture. I think that's why Connor admires him so much, because he's a scientist and Connor is all about the science. My whole arc for this season is that I have to carry on Cutter's work. I promised that and I don't want to let him down, because when Connor lost the artifact at the end of the last series, he kind of blew it. He's coming back now to prove a point."

What's coming up for Connor in episode two?
"I'm unemployed and Abby's not! There's still a use for Abby because of the menagerie. We've basically got a zoo in the ARC. Everyone wonders where all the creatures go that we don't send back and we answer that this year. She's still got a lot of skills that they think they can utilise, but Connor is seen a loose cannon. I go and find my old best friend, Duncan. It was really cool to do that, because it's following up on the very first series. That story shows the implications of what we're actually doing. The fact is, I did lose one of my best friends at the beginning of the series. He died in front of me and Duncan. We kind of just forgot about that, and then I realise the implications of me forgetting about that. It all shows how mature Connor has become."

Is there more of an emotional arc to the show this year?
"Yeah. With the time-slot and the type of show it is, you don't want it to get too heavy but we're definitely pushing the envelope. I think we should do that and I think people would be disappointed if we didn't. We've still kept exactly what works, with the creature of the week and all that stuff. But for people who want to invest more in the story, there's a lot more for them this year."

Are you pleased with the show's reboot?
"I knew it was going to be a different journey this year. From what I've seen, I'm really happy. I think it's grown-up. It's like Primeval upgraded! This is the most excited I've been about the series. I started this show when I was 26 and I'm 31 now. It's a long time to be playing a character. I've grown up a lot and I think Connor has too. You never want to lose what people like about the characters in the first place, but you do want to pimp it sometimes! Primeval has evolved!"

Will the changes since the last series, such as Danny Quinn's disappearance, be explored more in future episodes?
"Yeah. A lot happens in the first episode and I think Abby and Connor are just amazed that they're even back with humans again! Obviously it's a lot for them to take on. But there is that poignant scene at the end of episode one, where we're both detached from the ARC. It's the kind of scene we've not really had in Primeval before and it really makes you realise that things have changed. It ain't going to be the same again and I think they do realise that they've lost a lot of people. I think the character that it affected most was Becker, because he was brought on to be our bodyguard and he lost everyone. They didn't really explore his story before and now he's got some great scenes. The loss is explored more through him, than through my character."

Can you give us a few hints as to what's coming up later in the fourth series?
"Throughout the series, Connor goes on a bit of a one-man mission. He forgets about everyone around him and gets a bit obsessive about achieving his goal. That starts to make what is actually important crumble. This season, we have the biggest and most complex story arc yet. It's not just Abby and Connor getting in and out of scrapes. We have a big emotional arc. Also, three people come back - loved characters from the past. They each have their own episodes. It was great getting some of the old gang back together."

Are those one-off returns?
"Yeah. Well...you never know!"


So the three loved characters from the past...? Jenny, Danny and... who else? Caroline? Maybe a guest star?? Arghhh!

No comments: